Experiences of Autism Spectrum Condition and Policing in Scotland: Surveying police and the autism community
Ethics Approval Number: CLIN693
Investigators: Ria Doherty, Asa Kerr-Davis, Karri Gillespie-Smith
Researcher Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have not already done so, please read this information sheet about this survey research:
If you feel in any way distressed in relation to your experience with the criminal justice system you are strongly advised not to complete this survey. Similarly, if you become distressed whilst completing this survey you should discontinue your participation and make an appointment with your GP if you feel you need additional support. Help is also available from Breathing Space - a free, confidential phoneline service for anyone in need of someone to talk to (call 0800 83 85 87).
Please read the following statements and if you agree and would like to participate in this study then please select the 'yes I wish to take part in this study' button - this will be taken as you opting in to the study and as such this will mean your data will be automatically anonymised and will not be able to be withdrawn at a later date.
If you do not agree with any of the following statements then please select ‘no I do not wish to take part in this study’ and you will be shown the debrief sheet before exiting this process.
- I have read the information above about the study. I have had the opportunity to consider the information and ask questions and have had these answered satisfactorily.
- I am no longer experiencing distress from my interactions with police.
- I understand that my participation is voluntary and that I am free to withdraw at any time without giving any reason before selecting 'yes I wish to take part in this study' and that I should withdraw if I find myself becoming upset by any of the questions.
- I understand that I may ignore any questions I would prefer not to answer.
- I understand that after selecting 'yes I wish to take part in this study' that this is taken as a sign of me 'opting in to' the study and having my data automatically anonymised meaning that I cannot withdraw my data at a later date.
- I consent to the processing of my personal information (gender & age) for the purposes explained to me.
- I understand that such information will be handled in accordance with all applicable data protection legislation.
- I understand that my data will be treated confidentially and any publication resulting from this work will report only data that does not identify me.
- I confirm that I have received a formal diagnosis of ASC (e.g., Autism Spectrum Condition, Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Autistic Disorder, Asperger’s Disorder, Childhood Disintegrative Disorder and Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified, PDD-NOS) from a clinical professional (e.g., a Psychiatrist or a Psychologist).
- I confirm that I live in Scotland.
- I confirm that I am aged 18 or over.
I freely agree to participate in this study.